OH MY GOD APPARENTLY TAKING AN ARROW TO THE KNEE WAS AN OLD NORDIC SLANG FOR GETTING MARRIED
I THOUGHT THAT ALL THOSE GUYS IN SKYRIM HAD LITERALLY BEEN SHOT IN THEIR KNEES WITH ARROWS BUT I GUESS NOT
And at that moment, the foundation of that entire meme became something like this:
THAT EXPLAINS WHY MEN GO DOWN ON ONE KNEE WHEN THEY PROPOSE
OH MY GOD
there is nothing romantic about
- not knowing you’re beautiful
- loving someone until they learn to love themselves
please stop romanticizing low self esteem.
it’s one thing to love a person who happens to have low self esteem
it’s another thing to frame low self esteem as a desirable trait.
- Not feminism: Oh my God, that woman is wearing make-up and high heels! She can't be a feminist. She's just adhering to the patriarchal expectations of femininity! What a traitor to her gender.
- Not feminism: I hate men! Women are so much better than men! All men are rapists and we don't need their help! Men are just there to oppress us and keep us down! Women are the superior gender.
- Not feminism: You're giving up your career to have a baby? You're being dictated to by a man! That's the wrong choice! You've slept with twenty men? Wow, way to show that you have no respect for yourself.
- Feminism: Women and men are equal. No-one should be discriminated against on the basis of their gender. Women have the right to decide how to live their life, how to dress, what to do with their body and who to love.
- not feminism: whatever i say feminism isn't feminism: whatever i say feminism is
what do you say when someone asks what you’re doing and you’re reading homosexual fanfiction based off of a book written 150 years ago
Tell them you’re reading a transformative work based on late Victorian literature that questions traditional views of gender and sexuality.
That was fucking beautiful